Here’s a great tip from Jerry Campbell football on the proper way to catch a football. It’s a great read!
1. Keep your eyes on the ball at all times. A good way to stay zeroed on the ball is to watch the “X” on the tip of the ball.Everytime you take your eyes off the ball you increase your chances of dropping it. If you aren’t focused on the ball when it hits you in the hands, catching it becomes pure luck.
Ads by Google
2. Extend your arms toward the ball, as the ball approaches, so your hands meet it at the furthest possible point. Do not run with your arms extended. Extend your arms right before the ball reaches you.
3. Make a triangle with both hands, palms facing away from your body. Thumbs pointing at each other, all other fingers pointing up. You want the tip of the ball heading for the open space in between your two hands. If the ball is below the waist, palms still face out, but put your pinkies together,if you are running and the ball is coming over you should also put you pinkies together.
4. Catch the ball, letting it get about halfway between your hands before clamping down on it with all your fingers. Keeping your eyes on it the whole time. (If the pass is below the waist let the ball slide through the inside of your palms about halfway and then clamp down on it)
5. Proceed to tuck the ball away, under your arm on the opposite side of any defenders.
6. Now that the ball is caught, run with it (football game), throw it back (playing catch), or whatever the game you’re playing requires you to do.
7. Make sure that you see in your mind catching the pass. And under no circumstances think about not catching it. Don’t forget when the football touches your hands or any part of your arms try to tuck it in.